“An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” That saying needs to be changed to “An Elderberry a day keeps the doctor away.”. Elderberries have been proven to help cut down on the recovery time of viruses like the flu and the common cold and to boost our immune system. Below we have gathered our ten favorite and easy ways to use Elderberry Syrup on a daily basis to help fight off those annoying viruses!
We all know that moment when we suddenly start feeling like some sickness is coming on. We feel off, funny in the head and we just know, it’s coming.
Yep, we have all experienced it and thank goodness that modern medicine has made it where the common cold won’t knock us on our butt for too long. What if I was to tell you that there is actually a fruit that will do things just as good, if not better than modern medicine. No this is no snake oil, but it is actually a delicious fruit that has been used to mitigate flu and cold symptoms and to boost immune systems as far back as ancient Egypt and biblical times, and is gaining traction, yet again, for its amazing benefits. Elderberry has been proven to lessen the symptoms while sick with a viral infection. Antibiotics can only be used to treat bacterial infections but they also kill the good and bad bacteria in our body and wreck our gut health for a little bit. Studies have shown that Elderberry is just as, if not MORE beneficial than tamiflu when dealing with the flu virus and our Elderberry Syrup contains Sunfiber®, a prebiotic soluble dietary fiber, which has synergistic effects on digestibility to enhance nutrient absorption.
10 Ways To Use Elderberry Syrup
Elderberry is a sweet, delicious and healthy...YES, healthy treat that can be added to literally anything and make it taste better. Adding some to a shake, tea, coffee, ice cream or even alcoholic beverage will not only sweeten your drink but it will also give you the immune system boost your body needs. Here are some of our favorite ways to add Elderberry syrup to your daily eating.
- Hot Drink: Elderberry adds a great flavor to any coffee or tea beverage. It is awesome in Chamomile or Earl Grey Tea and the perfect natural sweetener for our caffeine addicts.
- Smoothies: If you enjoy a post workout smoothie or just your meal on the go, add a teaspoon of elderberry syrup to your smoothie for an immune shot and a little extra sweetness. It goes great with any berry smoothie.
- Pancakes:If you have a little extra time to make yourself or your family pancakes, add some elderberry syrup to them instead of maple syrup or in addition to it!
- Popsicles: Everyone loves a good cold popsicle when their throat is killing them. Adding some elderberry syrup and apple cranberry juice is the perfect way to soothe your throat while getting the immune boost you need.
- Ice Cream: On that same note, Elderberry syrup is a great ice cream topper!
- Muffins:If you are a meal planner, adding a teaspoon per muffin is a great way to give any of your favorite muffin recipes an immune boost.
- Yogurt parfaits: Layer your favorite yogurt and fruits and top with a teaspoon of Elderberry Syrup.
- Adult Beverage:Yep, you read that correctly. You can add some elderberry to any nightcap for a delicious healthy addition.